Copperhead Plug Mill
Single-trip plug-removal device
Save time on frac plug milling with a fit-for-purpose tool.
The Copperhead plug mill can remove all Copperhead drillable bridge and frac plugs in a single trip downhole.
The plug mill is designed to simulate the action of a machine shop lathe. A serrated blade cuts grooves in the aluminum and a flat blade follows it, flattening the peaks. This process occurs three times per rotation. The mill cuts into the metal instead of crushing it, producing small, consistently sized, lightweight cuttings that can be circulated out of the well, keeping the mill face clean. The mill’s bypass and flow-through features also facilitate cuttings removal.
The design of the mill minimizes the required weight on bit (WOB), improving millout time in long, horizontal sections where friction limits the weight that can be transmitted to the bit. Tungsten carbide buttons on the outer surface keep the mill OD in gauge during the milling of multiple plugs, preventing coring of the plugs, and also protect the casing from damage.
- Removal of Copperhead* drillable bridge and frac plugs from vertical, deviated, and horizontal wells
- Elimination of multiple millout trips saves time and reduces costs.
- Small, consistently sized cuttings minimize plug removal time.
- Reduced weight on bit and wear on mill
- Consistent millout time
- Serrated and flat blade combination for constant milling rate
- Large bypass and flow-through features to facilitate cuttings removal
- Tungsten carbide buttons on outer surface for gauge maintenance